Sunday, March 14, 2010

First day back at work!

My first day back at work after taking off to take care of my wife and family.
Being off for 5 days is a bit of a stretch. I am not really rested or composed- but my worry is less as my wife is much better now and the kids are rambuncious as always.

I've been plotting my next book and working to get enough action in it as well as balancing plot and theme with the characters.

When I think of one answer to "How to write a book?" I realize how bad the answer was.

The author in question said something like "Put on word down the another until you are done."

That author writes crap!

My point is that unless you decide on a theme, define your characters, and make definite choices on the type of story you are telling, you may write something that entertains, but is as useful and lasting as used toilet paper.

I'm not in this to put out toilet paper- but to make something that lasts.

If you want to write, make decisions on what you want to say, how you want to say it, the shape of the character saying it. Make something that will last.

Or make fun stuff to read- but enjoy doing it too!

W. A. Patterson

No comments: